Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:44:57 +0300
From:      "Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri" <almarrie@gmail.com>
To:        Brian <bri@sonicboom.org>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Newbie--new install on Core 2 Duo?

On 2/13/07, Brian <bri@sonicboom.org> wrote:

> > It is also a hugh waste of time. Doing the initial system installation,
> > there should be an option at the very least to enable SMP. Installing
> > a system, then having to rebuilt and and reinstall it again if counter
> > productive.
> >
> > The market is moving toward multiple CPUs. The FBSD installation routine
> > should embrace that reality and afford it the proper consideration that
> > it deserves.
> >

> All I'm saying is that we see several emails here asking which build to
> use, the question of smp comes up along with amd64 vs i386 vs ia64.  How
> many more wonder but don't ask?  It'd be glorious for the install
> routine to make this easier on the user.  New users are not experts.
>
> Brian

I agree with you here, the current installer isn't the best for newbie users.

It should be more friendly so FreeBSD will gain more users.

Why shall you do the double job by installing the FreeBSD, then
reinstall it after adding SMP option to kernel? Couldn't we get
FreeBSD to install the right kernel based on the number of  the cpu(s)
in the system?

FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT GENERIC kernel has options SMP by default, so how
this will imapct servers/pcs/laptops with single CPU?

FreeSBIE is able to run the second cpu and launch it as well, so I
don't know how hard is this, PCBSD installs the right kernel if you
have more than 1 cpu.

How many newbie users can buildworld, customize and build a new kernel?

I would advice newbies to use PCBSD or DesktopBSD, so they can learn
more about FreeBSD, since they will be able to use the internet and
read the docs online from their laptop, or pc, instead of getting
another pc beside them to read and apply things in the console.

This is the way how I got to know how to make buildworld, and make
install kernel, while I'm reading from the same laptop.

So now, I'm able to to install FreeBSD, and KDE from the scratch,
because I started with PCBSD beside DesktopBSD, and reading online and
trying things out without having another pc beside me, or read man
pages in the console without colors, learning more about FreeBSD while
you are online is the easier way to go IMHO.

--
Regards,

-Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri
Arab Portal