Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:59:28 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        kremels@kreme.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-upgrade to 64 bit?

On 10/2/18 12:29 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
> Is it possible to go from 11.1 release to 11.2 release vi freebsd-upgrade and change to 64 bit in the process? Or do you just install 11.2-RELEASE-amd64 from scratch?

While the officially reccomended procedure is to reinstall, I've been
able to convert some machines from 32b to 64b in the past.
Whether this is convenient is arguable on a case by case basis.

Also, I would do this as a standalone process, not mixing it with an
upgrade.

Basically I installed the new system on a new HD, booted from there and
rsynced the base system to the old HD, while keeping configurations,
ports and data.
I later rebuild all ports before removing COMPAT32 option from the
kernel. Expect several things not working until you complete this phase.
Notice there are many pitfalls here: before starting you'll have to
delete all ports which install kernel modules, after the sync you had
better check your etc files against the distribution, etc...
Also having separate system/data partitions helped.

Don't blame it on me if it does not work for you :)

  bye
	av.