Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:16:07 +0200
From:      Momchil Ivanov <momchil@xaxo.eu>
To:        Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?B?0JzQvtC80YfQuNC7INCY0LLQsNC90L4=?=, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, =?UTF-8?B?0LI=?= <momchil@xaxo.eu>
Subject:   Re: ULE Scheduler

At Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:12:55 +0700,
Erich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 07 June 2012 3:01:07 Момчил Иванов wrote:
>
> > temperature. It was constantly increasing from about 33 C. I took a
> > look at top and saw that both processes were wildly jumping accross
> > the cores, i.e. CPU0 and CPU1.
> >
> > So before reading all the papers about the ULE scheduler and the
> > source code, I would like to as a simple question: is it that stupid?
>
> maybe, maybe not. It could be that the difference is minor as the cache for both kernels is in the same chip.
> >
> > I mean, there are just 2 processes running (except of top, X and
> > ... which should be scheduled occasionally) on 2 cores of one physical
> > processor. Why sould each be scheduled on a different core each time?
> >
> > I did cpuset to pin each to a specific core and got to about a
> > constant temperature of 72 C. I am affraid to "cpuset -l 0,1 -p <...>"
> > both of them since I might again get at 100 C.
>
> This would be the interesting point? Did it happen because of the dirt or because or the scheduler.
> >
> > Is there some remedy?
>
> I think that the only remedy available is the one you applied.
>
> Erich

I've repeated the same experiment just now, setting both processes on
both cores with cpuset. The temperature got to about 72-74 C, so the
two small pieces of dirt that came out, the fresh thermal liquid and
tightening the screws probably gave me 10 about C on idle (from 53 C
down to 45 C) and 30 C on full load. I didn't expect that much...

Though, it was strange seeing both processes hopping around... I will
probably go back to the 4BSD scheduler if my laptop does another
self-shutdown in the next few days as Doug suggested.

Regards,
Momchil