Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 00:05:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <mdavis@io.cts.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   de driver and 2.2.5 beta q's

Please note this dmesg snippet:

FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Jun 10 11:54:28 PDT 1997
CPU: Pentium (120.00-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x525  Stepping=5
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
avail memory = 62558208 (61092K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82437FX PCI cache memory controller> rev 1 on pci0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371FB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 2 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371FB IDE interface> rev 2 on pci0:7:1
de0 <Digital 21140 Fast Ethernet> rev 18 int a irq 12 on pci0:9
de0: SMC 9332 21140 [10-100Mb/s] pass 1.2
de0: address 00:00:c0:ad:51:dc
de0: enabling 10baseT port
de1 <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 32 int a irq 10 on pci0:10
de1: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0
de1: address 00:e0:29:05:d8:a5
de1: enabling 100baseTX port

de0 works great.  de1 doesn't.  They're both SMC cards, but the de1
card is the newer rev (which you can find everywhere).  The de0 card
is no longer being produced.

Upon power-up, both cards' link status and activity lights are on.  As
soon as the de1 card is initialized by FreeBSD, all its lights go off
and it becomes useless.

Putting two of the 21140-based cards (the older ones) in the machine
works great, yielding > 1MB/s throughput.

Putting two of the 21140A cards in the machine gives you two dead
cards at init time.  So it's not the combo of old and new that's a
problem.  It's the presence of 21140A, period.

Next, I tried some Cogent cards (which also use the de driver).  These
had problems, too, but communicated somewhat.  Unfortunately, they
were only good for about 100K/s throughput, and netstat showed lots of
Ierrs.

This is reproducable in several machines (which I've swapped through
several motherboards and other peripheral cards to see if there is
some kind of conflict).  All the machines being tested are running
2.2.2-RELEASE.

All these cards work fine in other non-FreeBSD systems.

Verdict?  The 2.2.2-RELEASE de driver is Trouble except with anything
other the older SMC cards.

Since 2.2.5 is 20-some days off, are there any interim patches to the
de driver code that fixes this problem?  If so, I would appreciate
pointers for downloading, compiling and installing them.

This message also serves notice if this problem has not already been
addressed for the 2.2.5 release.  I'd be happy to cvsup a 2.2.5 beta.
Just tell me which tag to use and I'll try it.  On that note, will a
2.2.2 system cvsup to 2.2.5 with little changes to /etc, or are there
lots of changes to be aware of when contemplating a beta overlay?

--Morgan