Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2016 10:16:05 -0800
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trond =?iso-8859-1?Q?Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple kernels installed when KERNCONF lists more than one kernel configuration file

  Trond,

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 01:45:39PM +0100, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
T> I'm running stable/10, amd64, r293231, and KERNCONF in /etc/src.conf
T> lists three kernel configuration files, E5530, GENERIC, and ZFS, in
T> that order.
T>
T> The former is the preferred kernel, while the other two simply exists
T> to verify GENERIC and GENERIC + ZFS.
T>
T> /boot is a symlink to /bootpool/boot, and /bootpool is a 4 GiB UFS,
T> yes, that's UFS, not ZFS.
T>
T> This system uses EFI, and uses the EFI/UFS boot1.efi bootstrap loader
T> to load the kernel and its modules from the UFS partition, while
T> loader.conf redirects the rootfs to a dataset on the ZFS pool.
T>
T> Consequently, I have:
T>
T> /boot/kernel         <-- E5530
T> /boot/kernel.GENERIC <-- GENERIC
T> /boot/kernel.ZFS     <-- ZFS
T>
T> UPDATING has nothing on the subject, but maybe I'm blind after all.
T>
T> Is there a way to prevent installing the other kernels, i.e. GENERIC
T> and ZFS?
T>
T> Maybe it's simply a matter of overriding KERNCONF at the command line
T> while running make installkernel.

My fault. The change I did in head is that "kernels built" == "kernels installed".
The naming for alternative kernel directories is the same as in a release build.
And looks like everyone was happy with that in head. I assumed the scenario for
multiple kernels is possibility to quickly reboot into alternative kernel.

Now after your email and chatting with David, I see that another scenaruio
is a buildbox that builds kernels for multiple machines, and installs the
first one for itself.

What I am going to do now is to provide another knob (INSTALLKERNEL probably)
that will allow to override behaviour of "kernels built" == "kernels installed".
And put it in head. For stable/10 I will restore the original behaviour.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.