Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 02:08:56 +0900
From:      Hiroo ONO (=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCPi5MbjQyQDgbKEI=?=) <hiroo@oikumene.gcd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving UUCP to ports

Hello.

As one of uucp users, who are supposed to be in the threat of extinction :-),
I do not oppose to removing uucp from the base system as long as it
remains in the port tree.

> That's apparently widely used functionality.  My original proposed
> patch restricted --config/-I to root, but ache told me lots of people
> need that to work.

How about making this feature selectable at compile time, as Cy
Shubert suggested.
If you leave uucp in the base system, the default should be the secure
version, but if it is in the port tree, setting the default to current
insecure version and just prompting "it has a security hole." and
showing how to make the secure version may be sufficient.

I think it may be a demerit to uucp user who will have to do a little
more operation at install time, but it has the merit that it contents
uucp users who still use --config/-I option other than root, and uucp
users who do not use this option and want a secure one, and at last
non uucp users who do not want security hole in the system they use
(except some people who insist on having uucp in the base system
if you decide to move the uucp to port :-p).

If you remove uucp from the base system and move it to ports, I want
to be informed (by UPDATING or/and RELNOTES, etc.), but it is not
important whether it is in the base system or in the port tree.