Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 07:27:10 -0700
From:      "Jack Velte" <jackv@earthling.net>
To:        "Kurt Olsen" <kurto@bootp.sls.usu.edu>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Voodoo graphics

standard negotiation framework for getting porting help.

CONTACT

>Most of the time I just look for some way to make contact.  Either by
>phone, email, whatever.  For 3Dfx I was reading their news site and saw
>that there was a particular person who seemed to be involved with
>Glide.  So I sent him an email and he put me in contact with the proper
>individuals to arrange licensing.  3Dfx seems to want to have Glide
>ported, they just don't have the manpower to support every platform.

(it's sort of odd that more then one person contacted them with no
internal communication on their part.)

>In all likelyhood there will be no source release and I'll be signing
>NDAs, etc.  But if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

how do you code that with no source release?

>When I got the Tseng databooks I just called them and they took my
>name and address and sent it out.  Similar when I contacted Atari (RIP)
>a while ago about one of their platforms.
>
>I think that the big thing is not to be too pushy, I realize that

marines think the answer is more force.

>often I'm asking for favors which don't have a lot of return potential.

i disagree with this.  FreeBSD has lots and lots of return potential,
especially amoung the highend buyers.

* there should be a FreeBSD fact sheet, one printed page, that
runs over why FreeBSD is a good thing.  html page with links.*

>So I try to treat the company like I would anybody who is doing me a
>favor.

yes, that's the way free software works.

>It's also important that you don't make a claim to being something

yup.  this sounds like a good fact sheet to me.  could you be the
maintainer, or starter, of the licensing faq, please?  just reedit this.

>that you are not, ie. I never said I was CEO of FreeBSD Inc. or anything
>like that.  Doing so could cause real problems for FreeBSD and tarnish
>our image.

>Have a good day.

-jack