Date:      Sat, 07 Sep 2002 00:07:36 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-09-06 10:02 +0000, Neal E. Westfall wrote:
> > The reason not all of the laws written in Leviticus are any longer
> > applicable is that they had a theological purpose.
>
> That's so convenient, isn't it?

IMO, they had practical purpose.  You can always trace taboos
back to community experiential knowledge.  I rather think the
pork taboo was rooted in disease avoidance, since there are a
lot of diseases that cross species boundaries with pork, if it
is not prepared properly.  Lacking sufficient foundation to
discover what "properly" was, the taboo was established (there
are alternate theories; that oneis merely the simplest).

-- Terry