Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:30:30 GMT
From:      "Remko Lodder" <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/105204: net/mpd causes a kernel freeze

The following reply was made to PR i386/105204; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Remko Lodder" <remko@elvandar.org>
To: "Gonzalo A. Arana" <gonzalo.arana@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:25:48 +0100 (CET)

 <quote who="Gonzalo A. Arana">
 > FreeBSD freebsd.arana 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Nov  5
 > 09:13:36 ART 2006     root@freebsd.arana:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARANA
 > i386
 > when I open a pptp tunel with net/mpd, my machine freezes (numlock does
 > not respond, for instance).  I've compiled a new kernel without USB and
 > SCSI/RAID controller support.
 >
 > Here are the relevant configuration files:
 > /usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.conf:
 >
 > default:
 >         load vpn
 >
 > vpn:
 >         new -i ng0 vpn vpn
 >         set iface disable on-demand
 >         set iface idle 0
 > # disconnect the client after 8 hours
 >         set iface session 28800
 >         #set iface route 192.168.2.0/24
 >         set bundle disable multilink
 >         set bundle authname my_username
 >         set bundle password my_password
 >         set link yes acfcomp protocomp
 >         set link no pap chap
 >         set link accept pap
 >         set link mtu 1460
 > # If remote machine is NT you need this..
 > #       set link enable no-orig-auth
 >         set link keep-alive 10 75
 >         set ipcp no vjcomp
 >
 > /usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.links:
 > vpn:
 >         set link type pptp
 >         set pptp self ZZZ
 >         set pptp peer YYY
 >         set pptp enable originate incoming outcall
 >         set pptp disable windowing
 >

 > where:
 >    ZZZ my ethernet IP address
 >    YYY ip address of TCP peer
 >
 >>How-To-Repeat:
 > run:
 > when I type 'open' inside mpd shell, and after tunnel is UP, the
 > machine freezes.
 >>Fix:

 Hello,

 Can you please contact the hackers (and/or the ports) mailinglist
 before submitting a problem report. Although you detail a lot of
 information (my appriciation for that!) it is good to run this through
 a couple
 of people on forehand to make sure this is a problem and not a local
 misconfiguration or in this case a port problem.  There might also be
 people that experienced this as well and got it solved already...

 Please have a look at
 http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers (change
 hackers into ports to get the proper mailinglist for the ports people).

 I will close the PR till you either file a new one, and/or contact me
 with the information you found after verifying this on the
 mailinglists.

 This is not to make you angry or something, but to make sure we use the
 resources the best we can and try to help you solve the problem much
 quicker.

 Thanks!

 --
 Kind regards,