Date:      Mon, 22 May 1995 16:46:42 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Review this hardware please

> Some of the subscribers have been complaining about FreeBSD 1.1
> stability (even when it is broken hardware) and posting "why don't
> you get a real system like BSDI" comments.

I wonder at comments like this..  I'm not knocking BSDI, but I've
heard that it's not entirely difficult to get BSDI to fall over either
and have to question the judgement of someone who would blindly
assume BSDI to be "a real system" in comparison to ours (they're
both REAL, and any inference to the contrary is simply unfair).
If the comment had been something more like "why don't you get a
system with real support like BSDI" then that would be a different
comment entirely.  Oh well.  Enough whining about knee-jerk reactionaries
and on to the substance of your message..

> >	iii2 is a Pentium P90 (Intel SX957) with an Intel Neptune
> > motherboard with the Neptune PCI chipset. We've got 64 Meg of memory in
> > it. The 32-bit, fast SCSI-2 controller (to which we'll migrate the SCSI dis

Should work.  ASUS motherboard?  They're not without warts, but they
seems to be less warty than any of the other PCI motherboards I've tested.

> > soon) can transfer 132 MBytes/sec in burst mode. It's a BusLogic BT-946C.

See my previous comments about Buslogic.  If you can ensure good firmware
then it should be no problem.  I'm using a 4.21 board in my own ASUS
box.

> > BT-946C Rev Ae

I'm told that this revision is OK, though I haven't been able to
personally verify it yet.  Everything else looks just fine.

						Jordan