Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:42:52 +0100
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis@ntlworld.com>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: video capture

Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Antony T Curtis wrote:
>
> ATC>Is there an analogous specification for FreeBSD as Linux's V4L?
> ATC>
> ATC>Is there interest (except of myself) for such a beast?
>
> There is no such thing. It would be nice to have one (but not so broken by
> design as V4L).

I'm open to suggestions.... In a past life, I messed about with MMOS/2
(OS/2's multimedia subsystem) but that doesn't qualify me for such a task.

As to how such a thing be implemented - does it sound reasonable to
create a CAM-like abstraction of which all the video devices may be
connected to?

It would be great to have something in place which is not so device
specific.

> ATC>I'm messing about writing a KLD for a OV511 based USB capture device and
> ATC>it would be nice if there was some generic interface for all such
> ATC>devices. All I can see in STABLE is the bktr device for capturing.
>
> The bktr more or less works. There are a number of issues, where the chip
> documentation seems to be wrong, but you can easily get 25 fps without
> much cpu usage.

I have two old video capture boards which are not in use... One is a
"Black Widow" branded ISA board (which I have some DOS source code to
drive it) and the other is a PCI board with a "Zoran" chip on it.

--
Antony T Curtis BSc     Unix Analyst Programmer
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/antony.t.curtis/