Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 22:52:39 +1200
From:      Chris Pearce <brerfarm@paradise.net.nz>
To:        "Fatkulin B. G." <fatkulin@mail.cgu.chel.su>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Want to get aquainted with FreeBSD

Hi Frank,

Are you running a recent version of FreeBSD, from a fresh install?
I'm using 4.2 BTW.

If I type "ls -l libXt* " in "/usr/X11R6/lib"  I get this:

brerfarm# ls -l libXt*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  469082 Nov 10  2000 libXt.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel      10 May  5 23:55 libXt.so -> libXt.so.6
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  336239 Nov 10  2000 libXt.so.6
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   21742 Nov 10  2000 libXtst.a
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel      12 May  5 23:55 libXtst.so -> libXtst.so.6
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   20262 Nov 10  2000 libXtst.so.6

Try this on your machine. It should be similar. You may not have a
libXt.so.6, but you may have a lib.Xt.so. If so, try to symlink it to
libXt.so.6

For example, if you had libXt.so, you would need to symlink to
it by typing:  ln -s libXt.so libXt.so.6

You might need to link from some other libXt.so.* to get it to work.
For example, you may have a libXt.so.5, which you would symlink
by typing:  ln -s libXt.so.5 libXt.so.6

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the X server, or run the install
program ("/stand/sysinstall") and go Configure>Packages and look
for something that looks like it will have the libs in it.

BTW, Netscape on UNIX/Linux is not very good. You may want to
try Konqueror, which is part of KDE2, which is a very good window
manager for X. Another option is Opera, but I'm not sure it's been
ported to FreeBSD yet. I've used it on NetBSD, and it's really fast,
and looks real pretty.

Good luck with your problem.

Chris Pearce.