Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:40:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        "Zuidam, Hans" <Hans.Zuidam@nl.origin-it.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: natd question

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Zuidam, Hans wrote:

> I want to set up a test network which (partly) mirrors our production
> side network. To match reality as close as possible we keep the IP
> addresses in the test network the same as in the production network.  In
> order not to run around with tapes between the two networks, I would like
> to create the following setup:
>
>        (~~~~~~~~~~)                                 (~~~~~~~~~~)
>       (            )          +---------+          (            )
>      +              +         |         |         +              +
>     ( 130.144.120/22 ) ------ | FreeBSD | ------ ( 130.144.120/22 )
>      +    (real)    +         |         |         +    (test)    +
>       (            )          +---------+          (            )
>        (~~~~~~~~~~)                                 (~~~~~~~~~~)

	You can't split 2 identical networks, with identical
	netmasks across 2 interfaces unless you are running some sort of
	BRIDGE or transparent proxy support. Even then, if you have the
	same IP's on both networks you will run into problems with routing
	and ARP entries on the FreeBSD machine.

	If you are looking to connect the 2 networks together, run a
	different ip range on the (test) network, like the 10.0.0.0
	or 192.168 network. If you are not connecting to the internet then
	you will not need to run NATD, just make sure that the
	gateway address of the machines on both sides are pointing to the
	corresponding FreeBSD interface IP.

Nick Rogness		     Shaw's Principle:
System Administrator	       Build a system that even a fool
RapidNet, INC   	       can use, and only a fool will
nick@rapidnet.com	       want to use it.