Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2017 17:55:46 -0600
From:      Alan Braslau <braslau.list@comcast.net>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, Justin Hibbits <jhibbits@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: powerpc64 update from source kernel panic (11.0)

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 16:28:14 -0700
Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:

> On 2017-Jul-4, at 3:52 PM, Alan Braslau <braslau.list@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:37:31 -0700
> > Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:

> >> I probably also should have asked if you are
> >> using 32-bit FreeBSD or 64-bit. (G5's can use
> >> either when things are working.)
> >>
> >> -r320623 is from head (not from releng/11.0/ ):
> >>
> >> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/?view=log s shows:
> >>
> >> Revision 320623 - Directory Listing
> >> Modified Mon Jul 3 23:27:57 2017 UTC (23 hours, 2 minutes ago) by
> >> jasone Update jemalloc to 5.0.1.
> >>
> >> If this is real then you have jumped to a binary incompatible
> >> kernel relative to your world. (That may not be the only
> >> problem and you might not have even got that far.)
> >>
> >> As of when I looked head was up to -r320659 .
> >>
> >> I list the below in case the 320623 is a typo or some such. . .
> >>
> >> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.0/?view=log shows:
> >>
> >> -r317487 from 2017-Apr-27
> >> -r316722 from 2017-Apr-12
> >> -r314125 from 2017-Feb-23
> >> (I'll stop there.)
> >>
> >> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.1/?view=log shows:
> >>
> >> -r320654 from 2017-Jul-4
> >> -r320639 from 2017-Jul-4
> >> -r320608 from 2017-Jul-3
> >> (I'll stop there.)
> >>
> >> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/11/?view=log shows:
> >>
> >> -r320645 from 2017-Jul-4
> >> -r320641 from 2017-Jul-4
> >> -r320638 from 2017-Jul-4
> >> -r320621 from 2017-Jul-3
> >> (I'll stop there.)
> >>

> >> Can you report for sure what you actually got?
> >>
> >> ===
> >> Mark Millard
> >> markmi at dsl-only.net
> >>

> > 320623 seemed odd
> > and typing svn up gives 320659
> > and svn info indeed gives 317487 (2017-04-27) as the last changed
> > revision.
>
> There are two revisions for svn. If you explicitly use
> update -r?????? the two will be equal, for example:
>
> # svnlite info /usr/src | grep "Re[plv]"
> Relative URL: ^/head
> Repository Root: svn://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/base
> Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
> Revision: 320570
> Last Changed Rev: 320570
>
> But if you just grab the most current without
> specifying then the "Last Changed Rev" number
> is what you want to reference.
>
> The other number will reflect the global svn
> state across branches and such and so frequently
> will appear more recent than what is actually
> checked out and also possibly pointing into
> the wrong branch.
>
> > (am I misusing svn?)
> >
> > Also, I thought that I specified powerpc64.
>
> I agree that I likely should have taken
> "freebsd 11.0 powerpc64" to mean:
>
> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc64
>
> But, with things already being odd, I wanted to
> be sure it was just not the processor-type that
> was being specified. (In head TARGET_ARCH=powerpc
> recently has had extra problems that did not
> [...]

Thank you for the explanations.
I had simply typed:

mv /usr/src /usr/src.bak
svn co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.0 /usr/src

I may have done an

svn up

the next day before buildworld.
(I have never specified revisions, as I have usually used svn on an
entire project repository.)

By the way, the handbook does not suggest using "svn up -rXXXXXX" so I
do not know that I did anything unusual.

I still don't get the problem as I am not using any PORTS_MODULES.
I see that /boot/kernel is a directory containing all of its modules,
as is /boot/kernel.old

The updated system is running, and I have moved the loading of the
wireless module from /boot/loader.conf to /etc/rc.conf. Maybe this
module is fussy about when it is loaded and perhaps it is not generally
recommended to load modules via loader.conf. Note that the module
loaded previous to the update of the kernel via loader.conf.

Sorry for this noise...

Alan