Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:38:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network stuff

Trying to get past a network problem, and I have to ask a couple of
questions.  I am trying to get my FreeBSD smp machine, picnic, to talk
to my NetBSD DECserver (jaunt), and I am seeing some things I don't
understand.

I can ping jaunt from picnic, but not picnic from jaunt.  When I try to
use some network thing like telnet or ftp on picnic to talk to jaunt, I
get the same thing every time:

picnic:/usr2/chuckr/descent:203 >telnet jaunt
Trying 206.246.122.119...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied

I tried wrapping that in truss to see what's failing, and it's the
connect call, with EACCESS.  That's only supposed to happen to unix
domain sockets (according to the man page) and since this is a inet
socket, that's kinda confusing.  Can anyone give me any hints as to what
I could do next to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |