Date:      19 Jan 1998 06:58:44 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        William Lloyd <wlloyd@mpd.ca>, Jan Koum <jkb@best.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user limits, login.conf, etc.

Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu> writes:
> If you are tracking -stable on a machine first installed as 2.2(.*), you
> might want to see that you have the latest /etc/login.conf copied from
> /usr/src/etc/login.conf by hand, and then do a 'cap_mkdb login.conf'.
>
> If that doesn't solve your problems, are you starting xdm from rc.local?
> You could put 'ulimit -a' just ahead of the call to xdm to see what limits
> are in effect as inherited from the daemon login class from login.conf.

I have a similar problem. Lemme see...

If I log in at the console, I get the following (as expected):

finrod@valinor ~$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      524288
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  unlimited
max memory size (kbytes)    32768
open files                  1024
pipe size (512 bytes)       1
stack size (kbytes)         65536
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          64
virtual memory (kbytes)     589824

In an xterm under X (I use xdm and start it from rc.local), I get
these (obviously wrong) limits:

finrod@valinor ~$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     0
data seg size (kbytes)      16384
file size (blocks)          65536
max locked memory (kbytes)  65536
max memory size (kbytes)    65536
open files                  64
pipe size (512 bytes)       1
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          32
virtual memory (kbytes)     24576

This is driving me nuts - it's barely enough for Fvwm2, Emacs and a
couple of man pages, forget about actually *compiling* your programs.

However, if I do an 'su - finrod' and then 'ulimit -a', I get the same
results as at the console.

User 'finrod' belongs to login class 'adm' which has nothing but 'tc=root'.

I think the short version of this story is "login classes are still
broken in 2.2.5-STABLE".

OBTW, limits(1) is absolutely no use, since I must be in login class
root (or adm) to even be allowed to use it.

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"