Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:25:03 -0500
From:      "Daniel Staal" <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vdevs in zpool spereated, unable to import

On Mon, February 13, 2012 11:31 am, Adam Coates wrote:
> More insight into my tomfoolery: I think the "different hostnames" issue
> may be because of my ignorance. If you can't tell I'm fairly new to zfs,
> and even newer to the revelation of zpools (I've been using one for over
> a year but had no idea, I wasn't the one who set it up). When I had
> finished the fresh os install I was originally trying to /mount/ the
> drives. I know I was running into an error of:
>
> "/dev/da0 is part of active pool 'tank'"
>
> with a suggestion that the mount could only proceed with the "-f"
> argument. I can't recall what exactly I did, but I may have tried to
> force a mount of da0 to /tank in pool "tank". This would make sense why
> I now can't import the original pool tank, and why there is a destroyed
> pool tank. Since these were raidz, is there any chance of recovering
> from my error?

You may have done some major damage, but things to try (in my thoughts on
order):

zpool import -f <id from /dev/da0>

That's trying to import by the numeric id, not the name.  At the very
least, you should get a different error message.  (You may need the -D as
well.)

zpool import -D -f -d /dev/da0 -d /dev/da1

Now we're trying to import destroyed pools, and looking at both drives
explicitly for data.

The next is a bit of hail mary, and if anyone else has a good idea, I'd
try that first...:  You can try mounting /dev/da1 like you did /dev/da0,
and *then* trying to import.  Basically, at that point you are trying to
get them both messed up the same way.

Since these were raidz: Where's the third disk?  If you have two of the
raidz disks, you should be able to rebuild the third.  (It's *possible*,
it appears, to run a raidz with two disks, but you don't get any benefits
over mirroring, and you complicate recovery - a mirror in this situation
would be directly usable.  In theory a two-disk raidz should be
recoverable from one disk, I think, but it may not have been well-tested.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.