Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:04:21 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Additional BIND ???s (was Re: Problems with BIND in 4.2-STABLE (resource  leak?))

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

> -On [20010127 05:05], Bill Moran (wmoran@mail.iowna.com) wrote:
> >I'm having trouble with BIND in 4.2-STABLE (Jan 18 22:16:33)
> >I'm running the version of BIND that installs by default (named -v
> >reports 8.2.3-T6B)
>
> [snip RAM problem]
>
> >Has anyone else seen this, or have I got some unique problem here?
>
> There were a fair amount of bugs in 8.2.3 betas.
>
> I am in the progress of preparing the import, and importing 8.2.3, which
> is the released version.  As soon as I have it imported in CURRENT, and
> after I have done my usual round of testing in STABLE I will MFC it.

In a nutshell then, you're telling me:
a) problems like this have been seen before
b) the solution is to use a different version of BIND

That brings me to one other question:
In reviewing the list archives I noticed some early complaints about
beta code being used in -STABLE. The response to this was (if I
understood it correctly) that the 8.2.3 beta code was better than the
8.2.2 stable code.
The ultimate reason for this question is simple: Should I switch to bind
8.2.2 or wait for the latest MFC? Is 8.2.2 going to increase the
reliability of this machine or am I better off dealing with 8.2.3 for
now? This is a production machine and I'd like to get it to as stable a
point as possible and quit messing with it.

TIA
-Bill