Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:05:04 -0500
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to destroy a zombie zpool

--As of January 17, 2012 5:19:15 AM +0100, Fritz Wuehler is alleged to have
said:

> zfs is famous for fucking itself like this. the only totally safe way is
> to dd the drive since nailing the label doesn't clear out stuff at the
> far end of the filesystem that can really ruin your day. don't ask me how
> i know..
>
> it will take a few hours dd'ing from /dev/zero to your devices but it is
> well worth it when you do any major surgery on drives that had zfs at one
> point and you want to use them over again with zfs

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Thanks; I finally had some more time to play with this box again, and that
did the trick.  Took less than 2 hours, to do two drives.  ;)
(Simultainously, and one's a SSD.)

(Well, I still can't figure out why I can't *boot* into ZFS, but at least
I've eliminated one variable.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.