Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:52:46 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "No CD/DVD devices found" after booting from FreeBSD 6.2 CD 1

--------------enigAA242668D13AA7C45E17B296

Isaac Grover wrote:
> Good morning,
>=20
> I am attempting to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE on a Dell Dimension
> C521n (no Windows pre-installed) with a Sony model DDU1615S CD/DVD
> drive as the chosen boot media.  Booting from the CD shows that the CD
> drive shows up as cd, and after doing the fdisk/disklabel stuff,
> trying to choose the CD drive as the chosen boot media gives me an
> error window with the message "No CD/DVD devices found".  I would
> include a dmesg output if I knew how to get to it during an install.

You may scroll back (with ScrollLock key) and see if it's detected.

> Why can't FreeBSD see the CD drive after sysinstall starts when it can
> clearly see it before sysinstall starts?

Because before it starts it relies on BIOS to provide services (in=20
16-bit x86 mode), but after the kernel starts, it must use its own=20
drivers (32-bit or 64-bit, depending on your choice) and it seems it=20
doesn't have the right drivers. Most CD/DVD drives are standard and=20
register as ATA or SCSI drives but, as you see now, there are those that =

require special support.