Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:49:40 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        mjanosi@numacorp.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network printing

> BTW, you don't need to worry about converting text to postscript for
> your HP printer; they all default to working like a standard HP printer
> until they see something that looks like a postscript job.

All of them I've tripped upon lately insist on \r\n line termination.

For now I simply remember to push my non-PS print jobs thru a2ps.
Eventually I'll do it right and rig a filter to either prefix <LF> with a
<CR> on plain text or always convert to PS. Don't much care for the default
text 12-point Courier lined up right at the left edge of the page. Its
Postscript and a2ps for me.

Found a utility called "rlpr" which implements an lpr/lpd pipe direct to
the printer. Its quite useful for a fake local printer "if:" filter script
to send the job on to the real printer. The other solution is to loop your
job back thru the lpd system pointed toward a remote printer entry.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net