Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 1998 19:08:16 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why must POP clients have a resolvable IP ? what about dynamic IPs ?

> I'm sure we've all seen this error message before :
>
> >> popper[14612]: (v2.2) Unable to get canonical name of client, err = 0
>
> And checking the archives again, the explanation is :
>
> [snip]
> "This means it can't get the domain name of the IP that is using popper.
> Try doing a nslookup on the IP, if it fails that is the reason."
> "You need to put the IP address of your client in the named or hosts."
> [/snip]

My employer refuses to make entries in their DNS server for internal
machines which are not visible to the outside world. So on my Irix
systems the /var/adm/SYSLOG gets sprayed with those nasty messages. For
some reason I haven't seen them on my FreeBSD system... but then it
servers a different group, most have static entries in /etc/hosts.

Was also thinking FreeBSD's /etc/syslogd.conf may be filtering these
messages. I haven't changed it since 2.1.5 or 2.2.0 and have been
upgrading via "make world".

The solution for Irix was to find the offensive line in popper's source
code and bracket it with an "#ifndef sgi .... #endif". The alternative
was about 500 entries in /etc/hosts or running my own name server.