Date:      Sun, 09 Jun 1996 22:38:21 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba XM-3501B scsi jumper config?

> 	Help help help!  I'm trying to add a second drive to my
> FreeBSD machine and I want to change the SCSI ID of my CD-ROM drive
> from 1 to 2.  I pulled the CD-ROM and the jumpers don't look like
> anything I've ever seen before.

You probably don't actually have to change the SCSI target address
on the CD to accomodate another SCSI read/write disk.  Or are you
adding a second CD?

> 	How do you set the SCSI ID on this drive?  I've tried AltaVista
> and come up with zippo.  Help!  My machine's in pieces!

I have a Toshiba XM-3601B drive, which may or may not be similar to
yours.  The 3601B is 4.4X speed drive.  In any case, if you have an
"internal" version of the drive, look at the back.  On my drive, the
goo on the back is (from left to right):

	- 3 pin AUDIO OUT connector
	- 7 position MODE SELECT header
	- 50 position SCSI bus connector
	- 4 position POWER connector

The MODE SELECT header has 7 pairs of pins from left to right:

	ID1
	ID2
	ID3
	PRTY
	(blank position)
	PRV/ALW
	TEST
	TERM

ID1,ID2,ID3 encode the SCSI ID of the drive.  Jumpering the pins
results in a "1", leaving the jumper out results in a zero.  So,
SCSI ID 6 is ID1=out, ID2=IN ID4=IN.

Inserting a jumper in the PRTY position causes the drive to check
parity.  It always generates parity.

PRV/ALW - jumper removed allows CD tray to be ejected; jumper inserted
prevents the tray from opening; the EJECT button is disabled.

TEST - jumper out is normal.  Jumper in turns on "Audio signal reproduction
mode" which causes the SCSI bus to be ignored, and turns the drive into
a walkman.

TERM - jumper out shared term power not used.  Jump in - shared term
power used.  Selects if drive provides term power to the SCSI bus or
not.  If you want to have the drive terminate (or not) the SCSI bus,
then the termination resistor can be inserted (or not).

Hope this helps.

Louis Mamakos