Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:51:52 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@la.best.com>, Andrew Atrens <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: potential ide_pci.c bugster

> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <QUANTUM MAVERICK 270A>, LBA, 32-bit, multi-block-8, sleep-hack
> wd2: 258MB (528640 sectors), 524 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
>
> wd2: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>)
> wd2: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
>
> -current as of 10th.  Error pops up once in a while with or without
> softupdates.  I use it for /usr/src so nothing vital on it..yet.

This drive is too old to support even multiword 2 DMA. If you're getting
timeouts, and they seem to only happen when accessing certain files or
areas, then your drive has some bad-but-not-totally-dead sectors on it, and
the drive electronics are being slow about correcting the error.

This is becoming a FAQ, I think...