Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2014 06:41:49 -0800
From:      Matthew Szubrycht <matts@lampscaled.net>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
Subject:   Re:

On Jan 6, 2014, at 2:11 AM, Frank Leonhardt wrote:

> On 06/01/2014 09:48, eras mus wrote:
>> After a few minutes the sever
>> console be pinged or ssh. In server console also the machine hungs =
unable
>> to enter root password in the prompt. If I do a power restart it is
>> restarting up again and I can ssh also login from the console, but =
after
>> few minutes it hungs no ssh and pinging from LAN machine not =
possible. How
>> to trouble shoot, Please shed some light on it.
>=20
> This sounds like a hardware problem. Do a proper RAM test if you can. =
If this is okay, look at disk problems and if these are okay it is =
probably a fault on the CPU or motherboard.
>=20
> If you are worried it is a problem with your FreeBSD configuration, =
start the machine from a LiveCD (or memory stick) and see if this is =
stable, although this will not show up problems with the disk so easily.
>=20
> Regards, Frank

I have experienced a similar problem a while back - the server would run =
normally, then drop off the network for a random period of time, from a =
few minutes to several hours.  When I took a machine that had dropped =
off the network on a console, there were no message of any kind =
indicating any issues, the networking stack looked normal, but ping =
would not get out of the box, just time out.  The machines were brand =
new Dells, with 8.1-RELEASE amd64 installed on them.  Tracked it down to =
the Broadcom (bce) NICs.  Once swapped for Intel (igb) cards, the =
problem went away.  That was not the first problem I had with bce =
network cards.
If you use Broadcom NIC, try swapping it for a different brand and see =
if the problem persists. =20

Cheers,
Matt

--
Matt Szubrycht

"If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux would =
probably never had happened." - Linus Torvalds