Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:15:08 +0200
From:      Gregor Koscak <koscak@telemach.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   serial terminal problem

Hi,

I'm having some problems with serial terminal.
I'm running 4.1-release on p166mmx (asus tx97-e mb)
with dec vt220 on first serial port. I have it
configured as a system console (boot.config -h).
Im using 3 wire serial cable (db25-db25 2-3 3-2
7-7 and pins 8 and 20 (iirc) wired together on pc
side to provide DCD signal).

This seems to be working ok for a few days, but after
a period of time i cannot send any data from the
terminal to the pc (the terminal works ok, if i turn on
local echo i can see chars appear). Usually i have shell
running on vt220 all the time. If i kill this shell login
prompt appears but i cant send my login. If i kill the
getty a new spawns but the situation remains the same.
Then i tried turning off the getty in /etc/ttys doing
init q and then re-enabling the getty and doing the init q
again. But when i do this no gettys appear. Not even on
the local consoles. Like init is completely ignoring the
HUP signal.. (i tried kill -1 1 instead of init q - it does
not help).
System messages however still continue to appear on the
terminal. I wanted to test the connection with minicom
but it says permission denied when accessing /dev/ttyd0,
even when running as root. lsof does not report any processes
using /dev/ttyd0.

If i reboot the machine everything starts to work again.
But since this is supposed to be 24/7 box i wouldn't like
to reboot it every week or so...

Did anyone have similar problem or has any idea what could be
wrong?

Greg