Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:47:35 -0500
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        Christoph Pomaska <cp_public@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupidly destroyed a ZFS pool by recreating with the same name

> On Jan 7, 2017, at 7:12 AM, Christoph Pomaska <cp_public@gmx.de> =
wrote:
>=20
> I not-so-recently set up a ZFS data pool on my Arch Linux setup, =
either for experimenting and also because I think that the concept is a =
pretty cool thing.
> Well, as you can read in the subject title, I recently accidentally =
recreated the ZFS pool that died, because I switched some drives out, =
instead of importing it (as not stupidly enough, I did it with the =
option -f, that's why it didn't ask me anything though).

What were all of the steps you went through ? Be as exact as possible.

What was the configuration of the pool (mirror, raidz2, how many top =
level vdevs) ?

> So, is there ANY way to get the original pool or at least ANYTHING =
back?

If there was data redundancy AND you did not overwrite ALL the copies of =
the data, then you should still be able to import the remaining good =
parts of the pool, perhaps on a completely different system to keep it =
from getting confused.

And note that when you import you can change the name of the pool at =
that time to avoid name space conflicts.

Also note that you should never use -f (or kill -9) as the FIRST attempt =
at anything.

Please be patient as I am about to leave town for a week, so I amy not =
respond back for a while. If the data was critical, put all the drives =
involved that were not overwritten in a safe place until you have a good =
idea how to get the data back.=