Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:14:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@ls.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS file unlocking problem

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Steve Sizemore wrote:

> Running RELENG_5_0 as nfs server with a Solaris 2.5 client.
> rpc.statd and rpc.lockd both running on FreeBSD, lockd and
> statd both running on Solaris. Locking a file (flock) works
> fine, but when an attempt to unlock it is made, the client
> session hangs. The program is typically (but not always)
> uninterruptible, and I have to kill the login session.

That's ... odd.  However, the Solaris rpc.lockd does some strange caching
that can lead to asymmetric behavior.

In addition, you are running Solaris 2.5 which qualifies as practically
prehistoric in computer time.  That's going to activate some old
mechanisms which FreeBSD may or may not support.

Several areas are suspect:

1) RPC can't agree on a protocol version with Solaris 2.5
2) NFS can't agree on a protocol version with Solaris 2.5
3) The lock attempt itself is broken

The last time a hang like this happened I believe that it was an issue in
not returning the correct rejection notice during an RPC negotiation.

I recommend using ethereal to create a trace file.  This is going to be
tough to debug as I don't have access to a Solaris 2.5 machine to test the
interaction and see what is going on.

-a