Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 1996 19:13:18 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net (mika ruohotie)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: striping/mirroring?

> i was planning to strip only www and ftp partitions (and /usr/src but that's
> something i can easily recover) and since the information specially on the
> ftp partition will be something i cannot afford to lose, i was thinking is
> there a safe way...
>
> now, you say it's possible, if it's not too difficult to do, where should
> i start? i dont think i need complete walkthru, just hint where to start
> looking for information...

 A fairly generic example of this would be a machine with a dual
 SCSI bus system, a small system drive for root and /usr, and then
 you data spread over say 4 2gb disks.

 So you would have

  SCSI BUS 1         SCSI BUS 2
       |                  |
       +--> disk 1        +--> disk 3
       |                  |
       +--> disk 2        +--> disk 4

 Disk 1 and 2 would form a large interleaved data disks, which would
 then be mirrored onto disk's 3 and 4.

 Advantages are reasonable speed, and a measure of safety.  If one disk
 fails then you can just "turn-off" ccd and continue on with the other
 good pair of disks.

 The man pages for ccd and ccdconfig discuss this in more detail.

 Also remember that other offsite backup is still needed.  There is
 not much point having mirrored disks if someone destroys your
 site/computer/state.

 Regards,
   Peter

--