Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 1995 12:14:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Subject:   Re: QIC-80 tape driver sucks..

As Jake Hamby wrote:

> > Upgrade to SCSI. Floppy tape is fundamentally broken and unfixable.

> If I had $600-$700 to spend I would probably have bought a DAT or 8mm SCSI
> drive, but I thought it would be much more economical (since this computer
> is for home use and my backup needs aren't that great) to stick with a
> floppy tape backup since it only cost $170.

Did you ever consider buying a used QIC-150 drive?  They are
rock-solid, only somewhat more expensive than this cr*ppy QIC-40/80
stuff, and might suffice for most ``home computer'' sites.

> Don't blame the hardware for FreeBSD's lack of driver support.  Linux
> supported my QIC-80 drive just fine.  As soon as I analyze Linux's FTAPE
> and the existing broken FreeBSD drivers, I'll try to come up with a
> better solution, and if I do, I'll be happy to maintain it for the
> FreeBSD team.  I'll keep everyone posted...

Many have been there, many have done that, all resigned. :-(

We greatly appreciate your offer to maintain it!
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/