Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:19:53 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        AN <andy@neu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome2 Forks

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM, AN <andy@neu.net> wrote:
> What is the status of the Gnome2 port currently in the ports tree:
> gnome2 2.32.1_4 =A0(/usr/ports/x11/gnome2/)
>
> How much longer will it be available?
>
> Will it be deleted?
>
> How long will it be supported by FreeBSD Gnome team?
>
> What are the issues with continuing to use this port in the future?

It will be deleted when it is impossible to maintain, have a reliable
to replace, or else. There is no way of tell when it will be difficult
to maintain, when they will be broken, have a reliable replacement or
different reasons.

It's hard to replace from GNOME 2 to MATE, because MATE has renamed
some of libraries/applications to avoid conflict with GNOME 2 & 3. The
replacement means that we will have to add some patches in the
third-party libraries/applications to understand the rename of
libraries/applications. Even the ~/.* have been renamed too.

I think we shouldn't replace from GNOME 2 to MATE. Just add MATE and
let GNOME 2 dying until it's time to delete (again, no idea when). I
believe this way is what we (althought, team hasn't discuss about it
yet) will go with.

BTW: If there are libraries/applications in the ports tree that have
GNOME 2 dependency optional. I think it's best to disable it
completely now without optional provide.

Cheers,
Mezz

--=20
mezz.freebsd@gmail.com - mezz@FreeBSD.org