Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:04:28 -0400
From:      Sahil Tandon <sahil@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dspam install

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 21:28:56 +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:

> .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
> WANT_MYSQL_VER= 55 ...
> .endif
>
> Then if the user wants a different version he still can change using :
> WITH_MYSQL_VER= 44.

That change by itself will not work because in bsd.database.mk:

 .if defined(WITH_MYSQL_VER) && ${WITH_MYSQL_VER} != ${WANT_MYSQL_VER}
 IGNORE= ...

> Why don't keep it simple and simple?

I am not sure what you mean.  Complexity is not a goal of the project.
If you have an idea that does not forfeit existing functionality or
violate POLA, please submit it as a patch.

> And why don't use things how they should be used?

Once again, I am confused by your question.  Please clarify your
meaning.

> I think there is still a lot of problems in many ports.

I think we all agree that there is room for improvement.  Since you have
identified many problems, I look forward to your PRs.

> We must make a big KISS cleanup in the ports tree to make it as good
> as NetBSD' pkgsrc.

Please send PRs or provide specific details; general comments like the
above are not helpful.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@FreeBSD.org>