Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:14:46 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
Cc:        Anders Hagman <anders.hagman@netplex.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nat through two DSL

Steve Ames wrote:

>>>I want to load share between two ADSL modems using a NAT/Firewall.

>>>The ADSL are 500k links and I want to load share on session by session.
>>>Can I do NAT between an inside interface and two outside interfaces
>>>acting in a round robin fashion?
>>>
>>This may not be the good idea you'd think on first glance. If one of the
>>paths has a slightly different RTT (and they're pretty much guaranteed
>>to), you'll see out-of-order delivery at the receiver. I remember seeing
>>some study that showed that TCP doesn't react too nicely under such
>>conditions (it works, but not at peak performance).
>>

> Is it even possible to do use two upstream paths for redundancy? I tried
> (very briefly while I had two broadband connections while switching from
> one to the other) to get that to work and wasn't very successful.

Redundancy is a different issue from load-sharing.

If you want to switch between a primary and a backup link there are a
number of ways to do this.

However, Anders was trying to stripe packets over both links (not
technically a problem) to increase throughtput. When running TCP over a
striped link, you may not see the performance gain you'd expect.

(I wish I could remember which paper I saw this in. Anyone know?)

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/              University of Southern California