Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 22:08:33 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Joe McGuckin <joe@monk.via.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   GPS receivers for xntpd (off-topic)

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 11:02:38PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> [various GPS chat]

I have been meaning to do some research on this kind of stuff for a while.
We have GPS receivers in the machine room that supply clock for some of
the transmission network, but when I ask the telco guys about the output
of these receivers they just frown confusedly and say "it's a 2 meg clock".
I haven't mentioned NTP, because I can't be bothered to spell it for them :)

So, we have an RF GPS source in the next rack which we can split and run
into our racks on coax. What kind of receiver do we need to provide a
synch source for xntpd to chime off?

We have Ultra 2s and x86/FreeBSD boxes available which are running xntpd,
but which are currently chiming of stratum-2 sources on the other side of
the planet, which just seems sub-optimal :)

Joe