Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:59:28 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "John Barbee" <jbarbee@singular.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making my login class capabilities database work right on 2.2.5

> I'm sorry.  I made a poor choice of words.  I should've said "added
> functionality" instead of "'fix'".  You are absolutely right, w/who/finger
> are not broken in anyway whatsoever.  They do exactly what they are spec-ed
> to do.  However, IMO w/who/finger should not only return those users who
> have regular logins but also X logins.
>
> In the ports list there are the following X terminals: 9term, aterm, emu,
> eterm, rxvt and of course  xterm which comes with X and kvt which comes with
> KDE (which isn't totally functional but kvt works, thank god), not to
> mentioned the non-englisn X terminals.  Doesn't it seem more efficient if
> w/who/finger takes on this added functionality rather than configuring
> different terminal programs (which I understand you don't since you only use
> xterm, but I'm saying not every does).  Furthermore, doesn't returning the
> current X logins seems more in the line of w/who/finger's functionality?  A
> terminal program's major functionality is to handle the user doing stuff not
> to tell whatever database that someone has logged in.  IMO one of the great
> things about unix was that most programs did one thing and one thing well
> and you string them up by piping or by redirecting.
>
> What do you think?

I think you've completely missed the point of this --
w/who/finger don't do anything except read a database that has
been updated by programs involved with the login process.  So,
even if you really want this extra functionality, it doesn't
belong there -- it has to be part of the X logins that you're
concerned about.

I don't care about this issue, because I prefer to have every
xterm write in the utmp file and it's trivial to arrange with my
Xresources file.  But, if I cared about this, I would spend a
few minutes with the sources of xlogout and one of the programs
that does update utmp, and I'd add the utmp update stuff to
xlogout.

Then I'd make xlogout the non-background program in my .xsession
file and then, for no effort to speak of, I'd have something
that would put an entry in utmp when I logged in, that would
give me a button to press when I wanted to logout, and that
would remove the utmp entry when I logged out.  Quick, easy, and
maybe even something you could contribute to the world.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>