Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:32:26 -0700
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   restarting natd remotely

I've got a client that uses a firewall I made for them with FreeBSD 3S.
Sometimes this customer calls and needs to change a port mapping. I ssh
in and change my natd config file. (I start natd with the -f flag.) How
would I restart it at that point? If I kill the current daemon, I get
locked out. I just tried this:

  # kill [pid of natd] && /sbin/natd -f /usr/local/etc/natd.conf -n mx1

And also got locked out, with no access to the box. Had to walk the guy
through restarting it from their side (the box usually has no kb or vid
connected). Is sending a "restart" command the only good way to restart
natd remotely?

Thanks,
jon