Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Logical Block Addressing.

Ok, I have a couple of questions about the CMOS.

Some of the older CMOS's have a "BIG DISK TRANSLATION" on them.
Sometimes they are set to "DOS" or "OTHER"
I know I have had to set it to "OTHER" when I am installing FreeBSD on the
System.

Is LBA (Logical Block Addressing) the same as Big Disk Translation?
	I think YES.

Question Number Two.

	Does LBA have to be enabled to use FreeBSD with DOS on the same
	disk?

	I think YES.

Question Number Three.

	Does having LBA enabled make a difference on a system that has
	only FreeBSD on it?

	I think NO.

What I am really wondering is if it is important in any situation except
where FreeBSD and DOS share a hard disk.  I just want someone to confirm
my suspicions.

Please CC me replies to this, I'm temporarily off the list.

TIA

Christopher J. Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://vinyl.quickweb.com/~chrisc/book.html
Disclaimer: Even Though it has My Name on it, Doesn't mean I said it.