Date:      Mon, 1 May 2006 09:01:41 +0100
From:      Aren Olvalde Tyr <aren.tyr@gawab.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Tool

--nextPart7695280.DWqqp7Dp5Y

On Saturday 29 April 2006 23:01, Chris Maness wrote:

> apps by hand with no ill results for a while.  The only time igot into
> trouble was after I synced the whole tree and tried only upgrading some
> of the apps.  It just seems like re-compiling every application every
> time portaudit finds a security hole is a waste of processor time.

If you don't wish to be regularly recompiling applications, why not simply=
=20
stick to pkg_add and use pre-built binary packages? You can download these=
=20
directly off the FreeBSD ports website/mirror, or use sysinstall to connect=
=20
to a FreeBSD FTP server and install them that way.

Binary packages exist for most, if not all, ports on the tree.

Whilst I normally always build from source off the ports tree, there is the=
=20
odd occasion when I will install a binary package instead (e.g. cvsup, whic=
h=20
is simply a 1.2MB package download, as opposed to a build which has a 10MB=
=20
source package dependency).

Aren.

PS. Yes OpenOffice is a demanding beast to build. KDE was even worse, I had=
 to=20
build it all over several days on my mere 1.3Ghz system. Very much worth it=
=20
though. :) Kudos to everyone involved with these ports, both built absolute=
ly=20
flawlessly for me on my 6-STABLE system. Looking forward to the GNOME 2.14=
=20
port, since the xkblayout switching is broken in 2.12 (known problem).