Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:04:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Loyall <bloyall@palisade.loyall.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfilter module weirdness during kernel build

okay, this has me confused.

Today I did a minor kernel change and went to rebuild it.  I did:

`cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf`
`config HUMMER`
`cd ../../compile/HUMMER`
`make depend`
`make`

The make died with:

make: don't know how to make
/usr/local/src/sys/modules/ipfilter/../../netinet/mlfk_ipl.c Stop
*** Error code 2
Stop in /usr/local/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/local/src/sys/compile/HUMMER

Now, I remembered seeing this the other day, in which I did a re-csvup,
remade world and all was well.

so, I did:

`cd /usr/src; make buildkernel KERNCONF=HUMMER`

and got

>>> Kernel build for HUMMER completed.......

at this point I assumed I got stupid and screwed up the last build install
cycle, so, I did:

`make installkernel KERNCONF=HUMMER`
`shutdown -r now`
`cd /usr/src ; make installworld`
`mergemaster`
`shutdown -r now`

Then just to check:

`cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf`
`config HUMMER`
`cd ../../compile/HUMMER`
`make depend`
`make`

and died with the same:

make: don't know how to make
/usr/local/src/sys/modules/ipfilter/../../netinet/mlfk_ipl.c
blah blah blah

How the heck did I manage to dork that?
  And how do I un-dork it  :)

I did see something smelling like this go by on the list earlier in the
week, but since the archive for stable is down......  Which brings up the
question.  I work for an ISP that could probably through some reasources
to at least mirror stable archive.  If somebody could give me specifics,
I'll float it by the boss

tia,

ben