Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:43:33 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spring Break and CardBus

In message <200003142136.QAA17058@cs.rpi.edu> "David E. Cross" writes:
: The code base (so far) is almost entirely original.  I have looked at
: the newconfig and netbsd CardBus drivers to gain some insights on how
: to handle certain things.  At this point almost everything is hardcoded for
: my specific setup (an IBM ThinkPad 600e).  I am trying to work away from
: that now.  I also want to import as much code as I can from the other efforts
: as I hope that will increase portability (I can only work on the TI1251A),
: as well as minimize bugs.

Cool.  I'd love to help in whatever ways that I can.

: I am hoping to have a large quantity of time this evening to work on this...
: lets see how far I get.

When you are ready to make a code dump, lemme know.  I'll be glad to
take a look, add support for my cardbus devices and offer guidance.

: You mentioned the resource manager... and I agree this is "the right way" to
: do things, however this would necessitate making some substantial changes to
: the PCI bus code... since things are already passed up and down the bus
: with 'bus_alloc_resource()' the impact should be minimal.. I just wanted
: to make sure that this wasn't already done for me.

: Although on an aside,
: a given PCI device may not be attached when other devices are
: probed/attached, so I would need to actively peek into the configuration
: space of other devices and reserve their spaces before they actually
: call 'bus_alloc_resource()'  does this sound reasonable?   What should be
: the name for the functions to request space that has not been allocated yet?
: bus_reserve_resource()?

That's why I was talking about the pcibios routines.  They do things
like this for you.

Warner