Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:13:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@comcen.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDI to FreeBSD passwords

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Sue Blake wrote:

> I'm attempting to convert a BSDI 3.0 system to FreeBSD 3.3, and need
> to pull in a few thousand passwords. The master.passwd file is
> compatible, but the encryption's compatibility seems variable.
>
> The FreeBSD system has been converted to use DES passwords.
> A cracking tool tells me that the BSDI passwords are "BSDI
> extended DES". The BSDI system allows the option of 128
> character passwords for certain users.
>
> All tests were conducted on <=8 character passwords. Some work, and
> some don't. I'd like to get some idea of why or how likely it is
> that the majority would work, or if there is anything I can do to
> improve the situation.
>
> This comes up a lot in the archives, where I see questions and
> suggestions (use DES), but no reporting of outcomes. Has anyone
> actually succeeded at this task? Is more information available?

Use DES anyway. BSDI 3.0 to FreeBSD 3.2-S moves were a perfect success, I
also routinely move users from remaining BSDI 3.0 boxes to 3.3-STABLE by
cut&pasting lines from master.passwd (how lazy can you be...). I've never
had a complaint about someone being unable to use their passwd afterwards
in either case.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000