Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:16:07 +0000
From:      "Teddy Wang" <teddy@usa1.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with User PPP and Dynamic IP assignment

Help!

I'm trying to get my FreeBSD 2.1.5 running PPP with my local provider.
So far I've set up the following files...

In the /etc/hosts file:
127.0.0.1		localhost
204.249.255.200		teddy.usa1.com teddy

I made up the number for teddy.usa1.com because my local provider will
dynamically assign me an IP.

In the /etc/sysconfig file:
network_interfaces="lo0 tun0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_tun0="inet teddy.usa1.com 204.249.224.1 netmask 0xffffffff"

User PPP dials successfully when I type:

ppp> dial simplesite

But the connection won't let me route to the world until I type:

PPP> add 0 0 HISADDR

My netstat -r before user ppp:

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire localhost          localhost          UH          0        0
   lo0 204.249.224.1      teddy              UH          0        0
  tun0 204.249.255.200/32 localhost          Uc          0        0
   lo0

My netstat -r after user ppp:

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire default            cs1-wak-ma.usa1.ne UGc        17        6
  tun0 localhost          localhost          UH          0       14
   lo0 wakma1-5           local              UH          0        0
   lo0

netstat after user ppp never returns, but hangs.  Netscape and Mosaic
both refuse to load.

Any ideas of what's going on?  Please e-mail any suggestions
directly...

Teddy