Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 15:17:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      sfuqua@pulsar.cs.wku.edu (Stephen Fuqua)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what to do with ATAPI CDROM

Aside from the obvious suggestion of replacing it with scsi, is there any
hope for getting my sony ATAPI cdrom working? I've compiled a new kernel
with the ATAPI options compiled in. The result I get is the same as when
I use the atapi floppy from 2.1 -- the kernel probes for the device at
the right interrupt and the right address, the hard drive light comes on
and nothing happens. The harddrive light stays on until the computer
does a cold reboot, although the computer performs normally. I've also tried
moving the CDROM to be a slave on the same controller as the harddrive; the
hard drive disappears, despite changing the jumpers on the drives and the
controller card.
Does the code from the latest snap do better with ATAPI drives? Is there
a patch somewhere I could try? The stuff I could find in the archives
isn't very encouraging. I've installed via a dos partition, but with only
a shell account connection to the net and a slow modem, I want to use the
CDROM with BSD for the ports collection. The drive works fine under Win95
and Linux, but I want to run BSD...