Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 02:45:36 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   -stable kernel on sept. system?

Hi. I have a system that was installed from a September 25 2.2-SNAP,
and then cvsup'ed to -stable on the 26th (including a make world).

I'd like to update the kernel with the latest from -RELENG_2_2 to
get the LAND bug fix, etc. The machine is literally in the middle of
nowhere (the artic circle) so getting to it is difficult and I'd
have to install the kernel remotely and reboot the machine from
1000km away.... Needless to say, minimizing the chance of a problem
with a new kernel is fairly important :-)

So I'm wondering if I'll have any problems if I mix a -stable kernel
with a 2 month old system? Will I need to rebuild any LKMs or
things like ps, w, and so on??  I'm really hoping to be able to
just "drop in" the new kernel and be done with it! :-)

TIA for any suggestions,

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU