Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:51:32 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Gerardo Amaya <gerardo@delaluz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup and port collection

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:10:12PM -0600, Gerardo Amaya stood up and spoke:
> I'm a newbie a CVSup so this may sound trivial
> If I only do a CVSup to ports-x11 like this
>
> ports-x11 release=cvs
>
> It will be enough to have all my new collection
> or do I need to "make install" something else

CVSupping only updates your ports skeleton. In order to actually take
advantage of any new versions of software, you will have to update the
appropriate ports. Imagine you update ports-x11, as you said above. That
means that CVSup will fetch the new skeleton files for the latest version
of all x11 programs. For the X11 port itself, this would be 4.1.0. If your
system currently runs 4.0.3, for example, a simply CVSup will *not*
automatically make you get 4.1.0 installed on your system!

In order to get the new version actually installed, you'd first delete the
old one (pkg_delete) and then fetch, build and install the new one (by
going to, for example, /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 and doing "make" and "make
install in there).

More on dealing with CVSup and ports can be found in the handbook, either
on your local machine at /usr/share/doc/handbook or
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

Hope that helps
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany