Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:20:45 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, "freebsd-chat@freebsd.org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: higher education scholarships for open source or BSD?

On 03/21/15 06:39, Royce Williams wrote:=0D
> Could you redact anything sensitive, and post your entire terms of=0D
> reference?  Perhaps as a link from the original page?=0D
=0D
Nothing sensitive; the terms of reference for all awards are available=0D
via the university website.  Quoted text is the ToR, the rest is my=0D
commentary on what it means and why it's there.=0D
=0D
> The Open Source Software Engagement Award =0D
> One award, valued at a minimum of $1,000, will be granted annually in any=
 term to an undergraduate student who meets the following criteria:=0D
=0D
Most "service" awards at SFU are $1000, so I went with the same amount.=0D
=0D
Depending on the pool of applicants, I might give more money and have this=
=0D
changed to "Two awards... to students of different genders" since (unlike=
=0D
most of the university, where women are in the majority and receive an even=
=0D
larger majority of awards) there is a distinct lack of women in OSS; on the=
=0D
other hand, I don't want to create an award which zero or one people would=
=0D
be eligible for each year.=0D
=0D
> is enrolled full-time in a Bachelor=E2=80=99s degree program;=0D
> is in good academic standing; and=0D
=0D
Boilerplate requirements for undergraduate awards.  I decided to limit=0D
this to undergrads because (a) most service awards are, and (b) it's=0D
hard to compare contributions made by undergrads vs. grad students.=0D
=0D
> has demonstrated excellence in contributing to an Open Source Software pr=
oject(s) on a volunteer basis, consisting of code and/or documentation.=0D
=0D
"demonstrated excellence" is mostly boilerplate text; it provides flexibili=
ty=0D
to the committee if students apply who have made OSS contributions but they=
=0D
are all so trivial as to be not deserving of recognition.=0D
=0D
"contributing ... on a volunteer basis" is because I didn't want to simply=
=0D
give an extra $1000 to students who were getting $5k from GSoC or even more=
=0D
from summer co-op jobs.=0D
=0D
"code and/or documentation" is because I wanted to clarify that, unlike=0D
Google, I think documentation is a perfectly worthy contribution.=0D
=0D
> Preference will be given to students who have taken a leadership role wit=
hin a project.=0D
=0D
In the language of terms of reference at SFU, "preference will be given" me=
ans=0D
"the committee will look for students who satisfy this criterion, and if an=
y=0D
do then students who don't satisfy the this criterion won't be considered".=
=0D
=0D
The words "leadership role within a project" are inherently vague, but cove=
r=0D
my feeling that students who "wear hats" (in FreeBSD-speak) are more worthy=
 of=0D
recognition than those who merely write code; herding cats is hard work.=0D
=0D
> Applications must include:=0D
> a list of contributions to the Open Source Software project(s); and,=0D
=0D
Obviously, the committee needs to know what they're recognizing.=0D
=0D
> a letter of reference from another project member describing the project =
and the applicant=E2=80=99s contributions.=0D
=0D
This requirement implicitly but very deliberately excludes one-person open=
=0D
source projects.  I did this because (a) I think a lot of the value of open=
=0D
source software comes from its nature as a social endeavour, and (b) there=
=0D
are a huge number of crappy one-person "open source projects" out there --=
=0D
in a way, "has anyone else joined the project" is a filter for quality.=0D
=0D
Letters of reference are also a large part of how applications for awards=
=0D
are typically evaluated.  When I proposed this the university suggested tha=
t=0D
it should be "from a supervisor", but I didn't think that would really work=
=0D
given the often non-hierarchical nature of open source projects...=0D
=0D
> The award will be granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication=
 Committee.=0D
=0D
This is the standard boilerplate text to indicate that this award goes to=
=0D
the main university-wide committee to adjudicate.  It was suggested to me=
=0D
that this award could be handled within the department of computer science,=
=0D
and it's possible that we'll amend the terms of reference to that effect in=
=0D
the future if SUAAC has too much difficulty evaluating OSS contributions=0D
(I doubt humanities professors will know much about code, but they should=
=0D
still be able to make a judgment based on the letter of reference); but I=
=0D
find that a lot of good OSS contributions come from non-CS students, and=0D
awards which are adjudicated within an individual department tend to only b=
e=0D
advertised to that department's students.=0D
=0D
-- =0D
Colin Percival=0D
Security Officer Emeritus, FreeBSD | The power to serve=0D