Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 19:02:04 -0400
From:      "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   dual boot WXP + FreeBSD

Howdy list,

I've had a terrible day. It was exclusively spent getting slapped around by
WXP and FreeBSD. To my great surprise, FreeBSD has offered the most solid
resistance.

The Challenge!
-----------------
I'm trying to set up a WXP + FreeBSD dual boot using the WXP boot loader on
my new (to me) IBM Thinkpad A30p.

I know exactly what must be done and in what order. However, the specifics
of one little step are escaping me. This is the page I'm using for reference
(and the pages it refers to):

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=70352+0+archive/2003/freebsd-mobile/20030413.freebsd-mobile

How far have I gotten?
--------------------------
I have successfully resized my WXP slice with BootIt NG and
created/installed FreeBSD on a second (or third, if you count the IBM
recovery slice) slice. WXP is booting fine and I have NOT modified the boot
sectors in any way. This was no small feat considering I didn't have the
recovery console installed before I resized the WXP slice and I didn't have
the IBM Recovery CD... but that's a story for another day.

So what's the problem?
---------------------------
How the heck do I access /boot/boot1 on my FreeBSD slice once I reboot after
installtion?!? I need to copy /boot/boot1 to a floppy so that I can
reference it from the WXP boot loader config file. But WXP is on the
bootable slice, and setting the FreeBSD slice as bootable gives a "OS not
found" error from the BIOS.

I've tried loading the fixit media and executing the following:

mount /dev/ad0s1 /mnt

But I get superblock errors. The darn thing won't mount.

Help! Thanks.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,