Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 00:02:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > A better question: is there *ANYONE* out there that has a bootable
> > IDE or SCSI device that FreeBSD detects, but which the BIOS POST
> > display does not show as being present in the machine?
>
> The "bootable" qualifier is a non-issue.  The correct question would be
> "does anyone have a device which is not ATA-3 compliant and/or takes
> some time to respond to a Software Reset command"?

 Well, I'm running linux on it now, but that could change.  Its a
386, and the BIOS doen'st deal with big drives.  As a solution I just
install everything to the first partition (less then 500 mb), put a too
small number of cyclenders in the bios (no auto-detect in the bios) and
let freebsd re-detect the drive at the right value.  This works in OS/2
and linux.  I think it should work in FreeBSD.

I think this might refute some people's comments, a new BIOS will detect a
lot of things, but old hardware is still supported, doen'st do the nice
things we would want.

as for not ATA-3 compliant, anything that old might comply, but it will be
luck, the standard didn't exist.   Of course I've not read all the
relavent standards, if the relavent portions date back to the orginial IDE
spec, I'd expect them to comply.  OTOH many have pointed out that "no
maximun value" is specified.  I don't know if we will get aggreement.  If
it is easy I'll second a option in GENERIC to set this, if it is hard I'm
not sure what to suggest.

Personaly I've decided all new systems will be all SCSI until I can afford
fibre channel.

--
      http://blugill.home.ml.org/
      hank@black-hole.com