Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:51:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bart van Leeuwen <bart@ixori.demon.nl>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Maksimov Maksim <maksim@tts.tomsk.su>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How defend from stream2.c attack?

It looks like the assumption that you need to build a new kernel for
getting the option to limit sending out RSTs is correct. (the GENERIC
config file doesn't contain the options, and sysctl shows the vars aren't
there ;-)

You'll need to add the correct lines to the config file... not
just recompile, but I guess thats obvious to all except for a very
inexperienced user.

What I do wonder about however is if that option will help here. I can see
how it would help against syn floods and maybe syn+ack floods. To me it
seems like tis solves a bandwidth saturation problem, not a local freeze
of the machine (tho it could because of just not running out of resources
due to this restriction maybe). I'd be very interested to hear why it
might help here to enhance my understanding of tcp/ip and fbsd's stack.

btw, imho limiting RST on SYN+ACK might very well cause syn flooding
another host when some bugger happens to use your IP as a decoy in an
nmap scan for example.

If nothing else works then you could always rate limit or drop those
packets (or possible replies) with a statefull ipfw + dummynet ;-)

Oh... which stream2.c do you mean? (I have a couple of files by that name
on my system, and knowing which one you are talking about might help to
provide you with a tested and much more concrete solution if there is
any ;-)

Bart van Leeuwen
 mailto:bart@ixori.demon.nl  -  http://www.ixori.demon.nl/