Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:36:15 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   debugging

I have some Fortran programs that compile and run fine using f77 (f2c/cc). If
I compile the code with g77 I get significantly better performance but some of
the programs will give the following message upon completion:

	free(): warning: modified (page-) pointer

I get the correct results from the programs but I am concerned. How serious of
a problem is this? Am I correct in assuming that g77 is optimizing the code in
a way that is exposing a bug in the program code? Since using gdb on g77
compiled code is less than ideal, does anyone have an idea on how to go about
finding the bug(s)?

I am not a programmer but I would like to be able to provide information to
the program developers. The malloc warning does not occur under Linux/g77 and
so they may not be aware of any underlying bug(s). Thanks in advance for your
help.
--
Glenn Johnson				Technician
USDA-ARS-SRRC				Phone: (504) 286-4252